Monday, June 2, 2008

Thinking of Pools

Final Saturday "fun" scrimmage

Wouldn't it be nice if Pan Am looked this quiet every practice? You'd think with 6 pools of 50m or more in Winnipeg it would be possible to coordinate enough time for all sport clubs to have adequate practice space while still allowing the public lots of access. What would it take for such a thing to happen? Much less than what it takes to prevent it from happening! I'm pretty sure I could come up with a schedule that accommodated every group, every interest and every request for pool space if I was let loose on that topic by the Parks and Rec department.

I mention that today simply because I have been having discussions with some people in Southern Ontario who are trying to get a new 50m pool built in Kingston. That is possibly the largest Canadian centre without a public pool to serve its population. The fact that I will live near there one day makes it of interest to me to be involved in this discussion so I have been thinking of pools and access quite a bit lately. Maybe I will talk more about that in later posts as I am helping deliver a clinic in Kingston this summer.

Meanwhile, back with local planning, I am meeting 1 more time with Trevor this week. He is the head coach of the Neptunes and if his club will actually allow him to speak on their behalf we will have a unified sport community in the fall. I haven't given up that vision and am being as positive as possible as we work toward that. Hopefully before I break for the summer we will have some specific details, exciting ones, about how water polo will work in Winnipeg next season.

No comments:

Post a Comment