Sunday, June 13, 2010

Small Uproar

Last week I wrote a blog about swimmers and how some clubs in Canada refuse to follow their national LTAD and instruct kids at 12 or 13 to quit water polo (or second sports) to participate solely in Speed Swimming. Wow, that got some odd reaction as the blog was circulated widely by a swimming organization trying to discredit me and what I wrote.

What is interesting is that some of their coaches wrote to me thanking me for what I wrote or saying that they agreed with me. That shows me that there is an unrest in the Swim community that I was not aware of ie an internal turmoil about the swimming LTAD and how it should be applied against the club model that has developed over so many years.

I had said previously that Speed Swimming, as a sport, is not the problem and that I was reacting to SOME swim clubs. That needs to be repeated as I have had that confirmed by several coaches who state clearly that they agree with me and what I wrote. If you are a swim coach, or club, that follows the LTAD ie uses it appropriately, then I am sorry if my discussion of swimming was so broad as to imply that all swim clubs misuse their development science.

No comments:

Post a Comment