Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Fructose = Poison?

This blog will be a reference to the work of someone else that I think is important. I always talk to my athletes about nutrition as part of their development, learning and growth. Recently I have been talking to some of the teams about fructose and why it is something they should be looking for on labels.

Fortunately someone with a background in science and medicine has provided me a teaching aid for this topic. The University of California, San Fransisco's Robert H. Lustig, M.D. did a presentation as part of the Mini Medical School for the Public offered through the UCSF Osher Center for Integrated Medicine. His lecture is available online at the Youtube link I have provided with this blog.

It's a long lecture but the video is in short, 10 minute, clips so it is easy to view in parts. There is something for everyone in this piece, politics, business, history, biochemistry, all sorts of angles you can consider as the story is told.

I am not telling athletes that fructose has to be completely eliminated, they are kids and need some space to live. However, I want them to see it as a poison, as does Dr. Lustig. I am comparing it to alcohol for them as they know that can be part of a meal (glass of wine) or the root of major disease. This helps them understand moderation and reflect on the impact of different foods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjxyjcvW7RE&feature=player_embedded#
(I still don't know how to embed these links so cut and paste the address in your browser address window)

4 comments:

  1. I am going to use this clip in my class tomorrow. The amount of sugar consumed is alarming. Thanks Coach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have almost finished watching all of the clips. It only gets more alarming as it goes on--and more convincing! I am trying to think of a way to introduce to my students who are tomorrow's teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an aspect of my career that I love, the collegial sharing of key lessons. It's great that a teacher and educator of teachers see the same need to share this type of information. I also live with an educator who is seeing the same thing. I hope we can all open some eyes and make a small difference here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/sugar-may-be-bad-but-this_b_463655.html

    ReplyDelete